Phew....Just got back from work, still in my cute Kermit the Frog scrubs. :) Btw, for those who are clueless, I just got hired at Essex, a nursing home down the road...I am a dietary assistant, working in the kitchen. I even get to take myself down in our van! (I LOVE driving) Anyways, so I had 3 days of training with Anna and then Larry, but today I was officially on my own for the first time (wow, I make it sound like SUCH a big deal...haha)
It went pretty well! Mary Jo and Ray were a big help!! They kinda kept me on track, and I rarely looked at my cheat-sheet. No time....lol I BARELY finished everything on time, even with Ray doing some of my work...BUT I'll eventually catch on. Soooo, if you all are interested at all, here's what I do (and sorry, but i'm not gonna explain everything in detail...):
1. Clock IN
2. Put a little "kitchen cap" on (anyone know the name?!)
3. Cut breakfast cards (tells what each resident likes/dislikes/eats/blablabla)
4. Gather/prepare snacks for residents
5. Portion cereals in individual bowls
6. Sweep and mop entire kitchen and stockroom
7. Take out boxes and trash
8. Bring in dinner lids
9. Put drinks on trays
10. Start tray line (Ray dishes up food, I put it on trays and tell him the names/dislikes of residents)
11. Record temps of freezer, milk cooler, two-door fridge
12. Set up breakfast trays for next morning (6 racks of varying amounts of trays--condiments, cereal, silverware, etc.)
13. Help dishwasher with putting clean dishes away
14. Take snacks down to nurses' stations
15. Help make silverware packets
16. Make sure things are closed up for night, lights turned off
17. Clock OUT! (drive home! yippee)
So, there, you have my job in a nutshell! There are a lot of little details to remember, but it'll come with time.
Tomorrow is my first Payday!! :) I think I'll just get paid for orientation, but at least it'll be something!
Oh, AND tomorrow there's a mandatory meeting at Essex at 10 am....And since my mornings are basically free, I'll be there! We just sit there and listen to someone talk and maybe do paperwork, is what they tell me....
Gotta get out of these scrubs! signing off.....
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You're job sounds like fun!!!!! I'm going to try to get one this fall while I'm in college :)
ReplyDeleteCool! Where are you going again? I mean, what's the name of the local college you said you might be going to?
ReplyDeleteI like your blog, Rachel!! (Your letter about FB went to our scam folder and we are gone on vacation, too!) It is hard for me to think that you are old enough to have a job and drive! Yikes. Time flies. Hope we get to see you next summer/fall when we are in the states. What are your plans for the fall?
ReplyDeleteAunt Bonnie
Sounds like you enjoy your job. I think that's great! It feels kind of different to grow up, doesn't it? You know, we were all just little kids not that long ago it seems, and now we're talking about jobs, college, etc. Before long we'll be married with children...oh, well, maybe I better stop....:)
ReplyDeleteAunt Bonnie!! Yay, glad ur here :) I know, time DOES fly....I'm sooo ancient already...haha I'd LOVE to see you guys!!
ReplyDeleteI think I'll make a post about my college plans...
lol Tina, don't talk about marriage YET!! lol I still gotta be independant for a while....
ReplyDeleteneed my FREEDOM!!! hahaha
But, yeah, we're getting old...I can feel it in my bones...haha (sounds like LOTR) I can feel it in the air....lol
sorry guys, I'm in a giggly mood.... ;)
ok, I think I'm joining the "old-timer" party too!! lol soon, we will be old and gray!
ReplyDelete